Following the chaos, mayhem, destruction and death witnessed last Wednesday in the opposition-led anti-government protests, government installations were seemingly overrun by the rowdy protestors.
The leadership of the police on Monday held a meeting to review the events as they prepared for yet another round of protests, this time running for three concurrent days; Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
On Sunday, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki said; “I accept on Wednesday we did not do very well as law enforcement agencies, I promise that this week and going forward, the country is ready to deal with the dangerous criminals in our midst who are terrorising millions of Kenyans and have millions of the people of Kenya to be subdued in fear.”
And it appears it is this admission that caused a change of tact.
Monday mid-morning, all county and regional commanders were holed up in a meeting at the Nairobi area police station to put their heads together and identify the obstacles.
They later converged in Embakasi for yet another meeting, this time encompassing the deputy inspector general of police Douglas Kanja.
Conveniently absent were CS Kindiki and Inspector General of Police Japhet Koome in order to allow the police to open up.
A source intimated to Citizen TV that police decried a lack of sufficient kits and equipment which progressively left them exposed and overrun by the protesters.
In last week’s Wednesday protests, six police officers were injured most of them hit by stones on the head.
The police are also said to have listed fatigue as a major challenge and that their welfare was not being addressed as they have not been paid allowances due to them.
There were also claims by some of the officers of favouritism among the senior ranks.
These reports are expected to be presented to ministry officials and also the IG ahead of the Wednesday protests.
While investigations to unmask those behind the Mlolongo and Kitengela chaotic episodes that resulted in deaths and destruction intensified, sources revealed to Citizen TV that there was division over the incidents since some senior government officials were reportedly aware of the impending attack but did not share the intelligence reports with local police officers for reinforcement, causing the Kitengela and Mlolongo stations to be overrun.
With more meetings lined up for the coming days as the government moves to assert its authority, the eyes will once again be on the men in uniform who have been accused of highhandedness during the protests and on whether issues they have raised will be promptly addressed.