A woman with her 3-month-old baby strapped on her back died by electrocution by a live wire on July 31 in Bowa, Matopeni Village, Kwale County.

The 34-year-old is reported to have been passing by a fallen power line when the tragic event happened.

According to the area residents, the power line fell over two weeks ago and had not been switched off despite being dangerous.

The heavy rains that hit the area are stated to have been the reason why the power poles fell.

The residents have urged the KPLC to look into the matter as several other poles are in different decaying stages.

According to the Waa Ng’ombeni ward MCA Mwinyi Mwasera, residents had been contacting KPLC to rectify the defaults for a while but nothing was being done about the dangerous situation they were in.

Mwinyi now wants the officers in charge of eklectricity in Kwale to take responsibility of these deaths and then resign.

Similarly, Human Rights Agenda officer Mwinyi Hajj said they have taken up the case and will be suing KPLC for negligence.

Matuga Sub-County police commander Francis Nguli confirmed the incident saying that police had began investigations to uncover what happened.

The bodies of mother and son were taken to Kwale Funeral Home for an autopsy.