Incumbent President Alpha Conde and opposition candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo have both declared victory following reports from the electoral commission. The conflicting results have raised fears of violence.
Guinea’s electoral commission has declared incumbent President Alpha Conde the winner of last week’s bitterly fought presidential poll, giving him a third term in office with 59% of the vote.
However, opposition candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo, Conde’s closest rival, has also declared victory with 53% of the vote. He said he has evidence of electoral fraud and plans to file a complaint with the constitutional court.
Guinea’s electoral commission has disputed these claims, saying that Dalein Diallo received only 33.5% of the vote. The country is now bracing for protests, amid fears that post-election violence could turn bloody.
The usually bustling streets of Guinea’s capital, Conakry, were deserted on Saturday night except for the military’s massive presence. Lansana Kamara, a mechanic, told DW he was very concerned by the violence that has gripped the West African nation following the October 18 presidential election.
“I am afraid, if things go bad for the country, this would not be good for anyone,” he said.
On Friday, there were reports of gunfire after the government deployed the military in Conakry’s streets in anticipation of violence and to “maintain peace.” Internet disruptions were also experienced, according to digital rights groups and witnesses.