Being Kenyan is a double-edged sword.
Sometimes we make headlines for all the right reasons; other times, not so much…
Here are things that we love and hate about being Kenyan:
1. We love rugby!
It’s the one sport that brings us all together.
2. We love our Tuskers in doubles, baridi tafadhali and some nyamachoma.
3. We can’t get enough of our beautiful country.
In doubt? Check #TembeaKenya.
4. We are afraid of change.
The same people ruling us have been in power since some of us were toddlers!
5. We are tribalists.
A subtle Facebook post can turn into a tribalistic war of words in seconds.
Tribalism peddled by Mosses Kuria is going to ruin this country. pic.twitter.com/tTxsihN3pw
— W. Juma (@JumaJunior3) June 5, 2016
6. Sometimes we are proud of our leaders.
7. Other times, we just want them to disappear into Narnia and never return.
8. We truly come together when our country is in mourning.
9. We have accepted corruption as a part and parcel of our lives.
Everyday life involves some chai.
10. We are hardworking…a working nation they say.
11. But our leaders let us down.
12. We used to care about the environment…
13. These days, it’s a land of hawkers, garbage and floods.
14. We become the strongest battalion of online defenders when someone crosses us.
— #stoploaningkenya (@zhokoro) December 6, 2015
15. There’s a reason why Nairobi is called Nairoberry…and it’s no brainer.
16. But it’s still one of the most beautiful countries ever, loved by many people across the world.
17. And you can’t have the rainbow without a little rain.