Ghana’s first president and Prime Minister, Osagyefo Dr Kwame Nkrumah, is known worldwide for his stance on African Unity and his passion for self-governance.
With this burning desire, Dr Kwame Nkrumah, led Ghana, then Gold Coast, to its independence and was also one of the founding fathers of the Organization of African Unity.
Have you seen any of these photos of Dr Kwame Nkrumah before?
1. Government officials carry Prime Minister Kwame Nkrumah on their shoulders after Ghana obtains its independence from Great Britain.
2. 18th June 1965: Dr Kwame Nkrumah (1902 – 1972) Prime Minister of Ghana at a Commonwealth Prime Ministers Conference, Marlborough House, London.
3. 7th March 1957: Ghanian Prime Minister Kwame Nkrumah (1909 – 1972) arrives at the Assembly House in Accra for the opening of the new Parliament and the declaration of Ghana’s Independence by the Duchess of Kent.
4. ALMORAL, UNITED KINGDOM – OCTOBER 12: Queen Elizabeth II and her family (her eldest son Prince Charles, her daughter Princess Anne and her husband Prince Philip) received the Prime Minister of Ghana Kwame Nkrumah at the Chateau de Balmoral on October 12, 1958 in Balmoral, United Kingdom.
5. From left to right, Sir Albert Margai, Prime Minister of Sierra Leone, Kwame Nkrumah, President of Ghana, Dr Hastings Banda, Prime Minister of Malawi and Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa (1912 – 1966), Prime Minister of Nigeria, at Marlborough House in London for the opening of the annual Commonwealth Prime Ministers’ Conference, 17th June 1965.
6. 21st July 1956: Dr Kwame Nkrumah (1902 – 1972), prime minister of the Republic of Ghana, having his thumb inked to guard against double voting at the Gold Coast Elections. Nkrumah was returned to power.
7. 28th February 1966: A crowd in Ghana welcoming a political prisoner, who was released during the coup which led to the overthrow of Kwame Nkrumah.
8. Kwame Nkrumah (1909 – 1972), the Prime Minister of Ghana, arrives at London Airport for the Commonwealth Prime Ministers’ Conference which opens two days later, 1st May 1960.
9. Posters of Pres. of Ghana Kwame Nkrumah during a speech he made at a rally in Harlem, during a visit to the United Nations.