I’d like to believe I’m a professional at Uber.
I’ve had more rides than I can count, you can’t blame me since it’s super convenient, especially during the evenings. All the experiences have taught me some nifty tricks on how to pay close to nothing for my Uber trips.
Here are 7 hacks to pay basically nothing for an Uber ride:
1. Input the road along the destination, instead of the actual building you’re going to.
Lets say you were going to a mall, instead of jotting down the mall’s name, jot down the road/street it’s found along. Road’s take up more space, so this brings down the price, since the destination is not as specific.
This works great especially when you are going to someone’s house or to your own.
2. Add more than one destination.
This works if you are two or more people going in different directions. Instead of taking individual Ubers, it’s probably more affordable to request for two destinations (or stops) with one Uber ride and share the cost.
To add a destination tap the “+” next to the destination box to add stop(s) at any point before or during your ride.
3. Use your debit card to pay for rides.
The more you do this, the more Uber gives you offers, and sometimes it even gives you free rides. That’s been my experience at least.
4. Wait for the right time to order an Uber.
If you want an affordable Uber ride, you need to request it when there is no surge. If you are unfortunate enough to find a surge in prices, close the app and wait for 10 minutes or so before requesting again.
5. Share the cost of an Uber ride with a friend(s).
This is the most obvious and easy method of saving on Uber costs.
6. If you know the area you are going to well, help your Uber driver get to the destination as fast as possible.
I’m talking faster than fast, sometimes I end up paying less than the predicted amount if we reach at the destination sooner.
7. Do any of the above at the same time.
You’ll probably get a great offer if you do number 1 and number 5 at the same time. Or maybe even number 3 and number 6.